By Gopinath Pillai,K Kesavapany
From Tamils to Malayalees, from Bengalis to Punjabis, the various Indian group in Singapore has performed a wide half in construction the rustic. to appreciate the Indian neighborhood, one needs to recognize sure easy evidence approximately them.
First is their love for tradition which transcends spiritual and linguistic alterations. the very best classical Hindustani singers are Muslims. the simplest Malayalam singer of Hindu spiritual songs is a Christian.
Second is their love of debates. Argument is a part of Indian culture end result of the trust that fact can in basic terms be arrived at energetic debate.
The 3rd attribute is the community's recognize for schooling. Indians, throughout castes and religions have consistently commemorated wisdom and studying as being a cost in itself.
The fourth attribute of the Indians is their devoutness: they take their spiritual tasks heavily and practice them regularly.
This celebratory quantity highlights the growth, contributions and demanding situations of the neighborhood for the prior 50 years considering the fact that Singapore's independence in 1965.
- Foreword (S R Nathan)
- A position within the sunlight (Gopinath Pillai)
- Indians within the Modelling of the worldwide city (Rajesh Rai)
- Singapore's Indian history Centre: Curating and Negotiating history, variety and id (Gauri Parimoo Krishnan)
- Little India: 50 Years of Being and Doing 'Indian' in Singapore (Nirmala Srirekam Puru Shotam)
- Indian Contribution to visible and acting Arts in Singapore(Jaya Mohideen)
- Fifty Years of Singapore Tamil Literature (A Mani)
- 'Rising from the Ashes': the advance of Hindi in autonomous Singapore (Rajesh Rai)
- Indian Writing in English (Meira Chand)
- Indian Political Participation in Singapore (Asad Latif)
- The Indian Contribution to Singapore's fiscal improvement (Manu Bhaskaran)
- Less Remembered areas and Interactions in a altering Singapore: Indian enterprise groups within the Post-independence interval (Jayati Bhattacharya)
- Newly Arrived Indian pros — Contributing to a Globalising Singapore (Girija Pande)
- To Singapore with Love... (Uma Rajan)
- Pakistanis in Singapore (Sajjad Ashraf)
- The background of Parsis in Singapore (Pesi B Chacha)
- The Singapore Indian neighborhood in the direction of SG100 (K Kesavapany & Asad Latif)
Read or Download 50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building) PDF
Best asian history books
It is a systematic examine of the sociological debate on postmodernity within the jap context. the amount comprises a set of 12 papers that discover the assumption of postmodernity basically from sociological views, protecting a variety of domain names together with paintings, feminism, verbal exchange, technology and know-how, social stratification, nice arts and literature.
Chosen Works of Mao Tse-Tung, quantity III makes a speciality of the perspectives of Mao Tse-Tung on communism, revolution, fascism, nationwide solidarity, and patriotism. the quantity first ponders at the proposition of Mao Tse-Tung to reform the strategy and approach of analysis in the Communist social gathering of China; the compromise among Japan and the U.S. on the price of China; and the institution of an jap Munich opposed to communism and opposed to the Soviet Union.
Britain's frequently particularly advert hoc method of colonial growth within the 19th century led to numerous resourceful suggestions designed to exert keep an eye on over an more and more varied variety of territories. One such tool of presidency was once the political officer. Created at the beginning by means of the East India corporation to regulate kin with the princely rulers of the Indian States, political deals built right into a mechanism in which the govt. might deal with its remoter territories via relatives with neighborhood strength agents; the coverage of 'indirect rule'.
Lee Kuan Yew throughout the Eyes of chinese language students is a compilation of essays through highly-respected chinese language students within which they overview the lifestyles, paintings and philosophy of Lee Kuan Yew, founding top Minister of Singapore. offering quite a number perspectives from a uniquely Chinese/Asian point of view, this booklet offers precious insights if you happen to desire to achieve a fuller and deeper knowing of Lee Kuan Yew — the fellow, in addition to Singapore — his kingdom.
- India in Perspective - Orientation Guide and Gujarati, Hindi, Kashmiri, Punjabi, Telegu Cultural Orientation: Geography, History, Economy, Security, Sikh, Gandhi, Nehru, Ganges, Delhi, Mumbai, Indus
- Making Sense of the Vietnam Wars: Local, National, and Transnational Perspectives (Reinterpreting History: How Historical Assessments Change over Time)
- Rabindranath Tagore in South-East Asia: Culture, Connectivity and Bridge Making
- Civil Examinations and Meritocracy in Late Imperial China
- Civilization, Nation and Modernity in East Asia (Routledge Advances in Asia-Pacific Studies)
Additional resources for 50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building)
50 YEARS OF INDIAN COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE (World Scientific Series on Singapore's 50 Years of Nation-Building) by Gopinath Pillai,K Kesavapany